The time of year is upon us when the sun starts casting longer shadows earlier in the evening. During this time of year, at 7am or 7pm, the temperature seems to be absolutely perfect. Every restaurant patio in the Plaza is buzzing with activity and front porch dwelling becomes a consistent night cap to each beautiful night. The inconsistent chaos of summer begins to settle as students return to school and we all begin to restablished our regular routines. As quickly as we anticipate summer, we begin anticipating fall. The time of year is upon us when we beckon the follicly extraordinary to compete in what is and what will be the Grow A BeardCompetition!
I can't believe this is our 4th year to host this competition! For those of you who are unfamiliar with this unusual event, let me provide you with the basic rules of engagement:
- SUBMIT A CLEAN SHAVE PHOTO: The latest you can submit your photo is 11:59pm (Monday, Sept. 1st). This is for the beard GROWING contest, you have to shave your already existing beard to compete. Send your photos pre cropped to 700x700. You will not be discredited if you do not have these capabilities, but it seriously helps us in uploading them faster. Email your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org. Along with your photo, send a brief bio telling us about who you are, what you do, and whatever other nonsense you want to include.
- SEND A PHOTO EVERY MONDAY: We will be posting a blog with updated photos every Tuesday for the duration of the competition. This means we need your photo every wednesday by midnight. Be creative, have fun, entertain the spectators, and feel free to talk a little smack.
- LAST: You have to last the entire 2 months to be eligible to win.
- OTHER RULES: You can only win one category. I (Dusty Gilpin) will participate but cannot win. Every participant that lasts the entire 2 months will recieve a parting gift. Winners of the main 4 categories will recieve some amazing gifts from local businesses. The final party, award ceremony, and on site judging will be held in The Plaza with location and time to be announce.
CATEGORIES: Fullest Beard, Best Mustache, People's Choice, Beard Fail. Contest will be decided by an internet poll. Barbers Choice and will be judged LIVE by a panel of judges including Carwin's Shave Shop head barber, Chuck Naifeh!
Biggest Beard: Exactly how it sounds. We're looking for the longest, bushiest, testosterone charged, unadulterated 2 month master grower of beardliness.
Best Mustache: This category is for the guys who can't quite get the full beard growing, but can still don some wicked lip hair. Also a good route for industry professionals who might have rules about facial hair.
People's Choice: This is a no holds bar competition. All is fair play. This category will also be decided by an online poll, so entertaining the audience with creative and ridiculous photos is encouraged.
Beard Fail: This category is to reward the men with real heart out there. They know they can't grow a beard, but they'll try anyway. A patchy, uneven, doesn't-quite-grow-in-some-spots beard is what we're looking for.
Barber's Choice: Barber's Choice is a category for the creative. Last year a "Monkey Tail" walked away with this prize. Starburns, Warrio Mustache, Fanz Joseph, Chin Curtian, etc... This category is all about style.
PRIZES: This is the best part. As you can see we only have 5 categories, so these prize packs are always great. Anyone that's attended the event in the past knows that we get the best local businesses to donate gifts to our winners. Gift certificates, high quality shaving supplies, clothing, art, food vouchers.... This is the only contest where you don't have to do anything to win.
We look forward to your participation! Get prepped up for 2 months of no-shaving, and get your trash talk ready for the competition!
I don't want to hear any hubbub about this being a chauvinistic or sexist contest. It is what it is, we love the ladies but for the judge's sake this contest is for GENTLEMEN ONLY.
For previous participants, we'll be making a few minor changes this year:
- Last year, we held the final event during a LIVE on the Plaza. While this was fun, it made it rather difficult to park, attend, and host. This year, the final 'Beard Party' will be on Tuesday, October 28th. Hosting the event on a weekday should allow for a less chaotic event and greater attendance.
- We'll be using #GrowABeardOK as the official hashtag for the event. Last year, we used a few different variations that weren't specific enough to find our participants' posts on social media. This should allow for more social interaction, trash talk, and beard camraderie.
- I think we lost a little bit of the sociable dynamic to the contest last year. In attempts to keep the contest personal, we ask that you submit a short bio along with your first picture. With a bio, we'll be able to highlight you as a contestant and it will help spark commentary throughout the entire contest.
That's it! If you know someone that might be a good contestant, share this page with them. The more the merrier! We're excited for another hilHAIRious contest!